Sunday, May 6, 2012

What is Arts & Sciences?

In the SCA, the term Arts & Sciences is used to refer to the various skills that would have be practiced in the Middle Ages. We work on projects, document the projects and eventually enter into competitions.

Her Royal Majesty Conna ingen uí Chearbhaill took time to speak to those of us working at the illumination table at Melon Wars and was very gracious in her encouragement of those learning new skills in the Arts & Sciences.  Their royal majesties have charged each of their subjects with learning something new.  That is probably easier for newcomers like us because so many things are new.

This weekend was Calontir's Kingdom A & S competition. Sadly, I missed this event because it was Geneviève's junior prom and Morcant's mother is visiting from Maryland. This weekend also marks the 5th year the A & S 50 Challenge has been around. I decided that in honor of the two, it would be a good time to jump into the challenge. The challenge has been laid out on the website in an introductory letter.

The basic idea is that you take on the challenge and complete 50 tasks of your choice. I haven't  decided on the depth challenge or the persona challenge, but while we are just getting started, this seems sensible to me. It gives me a chance to try new things and build up our inventory of garb, feast gear and other "props".

I've a few books that I picked up to help us get started. I have Caridoc's Thousand Year's Cookbook and the Medieval Home Companion. I ordered this because it fits so well with Geneviève's persona. I will probably send it along with her someday but it is certainly a fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment