Getting Started

When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I hung out with some SCA-ers near the Dubuque area and  though it was a good time, the group disbanded and I never really looked for another.  I turned 40 this year and I decided that it was the year to  start doing some things I have always wanted to do.  It wasn't really surprising to me that most of my family was into the idea.   We've been into that sort of thing for most of the kids' lives.

We've always loved Renaissance Faires and all that comes with it.  I think Brower went to his first one before he could walk.  The boys have more wooden weapons than they can carry at one time.    For a few years now my daughter and I have danced with Habeas Corpus Early Music and Dance Troup for a bit.  We've performed at Renaissance Faires and local community events and met a few local members of the SCA through this avenue.   The concepts of garb and many of the Arts & Sciences are not new to me.   I've been sewing costumes, dancing and making my household items for years now.   We are also avid campers and I have a lot of gear for that; including an okay collection of feast gear purchased as props for the dance group.

My husband is into it, in part, due to the fact that he got a pretty new recurve bow out of the deal and will get to go to archery tournaments and the like.   He also likes the dancing although he is not as into the costumery as the rest of us are.  All of this has me hoping that we will fit right in, and the adjustment won't be too much.

My daughter and I went to a business meeting of our local shire Shadowdale and everyone was very welcoming and helpful.   We also saw a couple of familiar faces which was reassuring.

I feel like there is so much to learn though and it is really pretty overwhelming.  I started this blog  to sort this all out and keep all my research in one place, because I saw one of the other member's of our shire do it and it seemed very useful.    I've put our "household history" up for people to look at and give us suggestions.  I am waiting to join officially until we have this all ironed out and I think we are ready to actually be able to go to an event.

Comments

  1. Yay! I think it's awesome that you guys are able to go into this as a family and have come up with your personas' stories in a way that reflects that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment