Cherry Melomel

We wanted to start a brew with something we had grown ourselves this time, but it was a little early for our cherries.  We decided to us some cherry juice that we canned in the garden last year. So once again, we have sugar in the mix, but honestly I don't particularly mind.  The yeast we use is attenuative. Sugar holds its own against the yeast a bit better than the honey.

So this has been brewing for a couple of months now and we are bottling it up.  I am sure we will cheat and drink some early.  You really can get away with drinking it as early as you like. I suggest hiding a bottle from yourself  or losing one for a year.  That mead will be so much better, it will teach you patience.  On the other hand,  I sort of enjoy ours right away.  It reminds me the really cheap, dry champagne which I love.

If this turns out well, there will be a lot of this beverage in our future, because I have a lot of cherry juice that needs to be used up.


We racked and bottled 10-22 ounce bottles of this today.

Comments